Sunday, February 22, 2015

Penguins, Penguins, Everywhere! ~ Art and Writing Activity

What a COLD week it's been here at the Crazy Critter Café!
We had 2 "snow" days here in NC--freezing rain, no fluffy stuff {yet}. :(
 
Since it's been so icy lately, I thought it would be perfect to continue our penguin activities.
Each year I love having students create their own penguin scene using construction paper and chalk.
 
Each student is given:
~1/2 sheet of black construction paper to make the body and wings
~1/4 sheet of orange construction paper for the feet and beak
~1/4 sheet of white construction paper for the belly
~1 whole sheet of blue construction paper for the background
~scissors, glue, and white chalk to create their scene
 
First they create their penguin and glue it onto the blue paper. Then students create their snow scene using white chalk. It's interesting to see all of the wonderful creativity!
 
Check out these adorable penguins!!

 



   
Some early finishers wanted to get extra paper, so they made a penguin family. How cute!?
 
 
 
Afterwards, I pulled a page from my Writing Paper Templates Pack for students to write their final draft of penguin facts.  


Finally, we read the book Penguins, Penguins, Everywhere! by Bob Barner.

 
It was a perfect, arctic week to continue with our penguin fun.
Now, I think it's time to pull out my Spring files! Maybe that'll help these cold temps to rise!
 
I've had enough of Winter already. Anybody with me? I know my friends up north have BEEN ready!


post signature

No comments: